Thursday, December 29, 2005

Almost there...

For any of you insomniacs out there I thought I would post quickly. Kind of an odd situation here this morning. We went to court, waited for about 1/2 hour with Inna and Patty the other single Mom who is here adopting. We didn't know if we would be called in first or if Patty would. The court clerk came out and called Amy and I in first. I was somewhat relieved, I wanted to go first just to get it over with. We went into Judge's office and sat down, The Judge was behind her desk, the Prosecutor sat in front of her desk and the court clerk also sat in front of the Judges desk. In the back against the wall were me, Amy, Inna, the Head Doctor from the baby hospital, Dr Victoria, the Dr in charge of the orphans in the hospital. Also there was Zhania, she works for the Ministry of Education which is the branch of the Federal Gov't that oversees International Adoptions. The proceedings went well, I gave my little speech, Amy said a couple words. Then the Head Dr and Dr Victoria talked about Megan's health issues. Zhania said a few things about the adoption process. Then the prosecutor got up and said he felt the adoption should be granted, he saw no reason for the adoption to not be granted. I felt a huge surge of relief and disbelief at the same time. Then the judge said that a decision would be reached at 2:30, I'm thinking what? 2:30!!! Then there was a bit of a animated conversation going on all around us in Russian between all the people there, we had no idea what was going on. Is this all coming apart right in front of us? It seemed like the prosecutor and the judge were kind of going at it but every once in a while the judge smiled. We had no idea, then Inna said, everything is fine, we just have to come back at 2:30. We walked out and Patty was sitting there waiting her turn and I felt so bad that she was going to have to wait until 2:30 to find out anything. Apparently the Judge had a New Years party to go to, there were children all around the court house dressed in costumes. It almost seemed like it was a children's party for all the employees of the court. Anyway, so we think everything is all set, it's possible that we may have to go back in and answer some questions from the judge before we get our decision but I don't think so. So it is now 1:15, one hour until Inna and Oleg pick us up to take us back again. I feel a huge sense of relief right now, like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I'm sure Patty still feels that weight.

So we will post again when we return with Megan, it might be a little late, I would guess we won't get out of court until 3:30, then we have to come back to the apartment, change, gather the clothes we will bring Megan home in, go pick her up and come back and get settled.

For anyone who is up at 2:30 in the morning back home reading this, go to bed and get some sleep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home